Friday, April 17, 2009

Fionastan

Well, we have been having a troublesome time parenting lately. Our lovely daughter has taken to barking commands, and throwing tantrums on a frequent basis. We liken this to living with a dictator. Granted sometimes our life is a bit chaotic but REALLY!!!?!!! I'm over it.
I had my first stern lecture with her today. Told her I was CROSS, just like Jack's mum in the beanstalk story... so here's this, one of my biggest worries was "the supermarket tantrum." Today, I had just walked in, and we were choosing fruit at New Leaf, Fiona was a bit of a tyrant to start and then when I tried to get her in the cart because she was grabbing too many things she pitched a fit A SUPERMARKET TANTRUM.It started in with the angry screaming at the top of her lungs, kicking, crying more yelling. I picked her up, put the bananas back on the shelf and carried her out to the car drove home all the while she was blubbering about wanting to go back to the shops bla bla bla. Back home, quick lunch, more lecture and she actually started to say things like "mummy, you weren't cross at the park, I'm on best behaviour now, after I have a sleep I'll be better at the shop, I'm not going to do that another time, etc etc." She was pretty contrite really, which was good to hear. I was and still am pretty grumpy at her but we're going to put a stop to this crap behaviour. It might be a rough week but hopefully we'll come out with a manageable three year old on the other end of it. AAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!
louise

5 comments:

Jane said...

This is tricky. Now you know where the 'WE DON'T BEHAVE LIKE THAT" at the supermarket (with six kids in tow) came from..... there is no simple answer.... this is where you end up with a civilised person or a tyrant, i'm afraid. For your sake and for Fiona's, you need to be the boss... (there are children who win!!!!)  I have no doubt that you have the power to do this. Just remember that this is when Fiona learns to get along with other people in a civilised manner....
If you HAVE to be the BOSS... ALL of the time (as Fiona would prefer at the moment) life is miserable, eventually.
Wish I was there, but you are doing well... just think... how would she get along with chris ???!!!???**!!?? she needs to get a life and it's easier to learn at 3 than at 35!!!!!!! you are ding her a big favour!!!! (do i sound like an ogre???... sorry)
love always,
J

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

thans for the support, I feel like the ogre some days. Hopefully we can find our way through this and look back and laugh about the tantrums. Devon says we are too much alike, wanting to be the boss that is...I just want her to be a good person.
Love
Louise

Jane said...

All three of you are good people, and I have every confidence in your parenting skills.

Ju said...

I thought of you this morning as I was walking behind this mum who was saying to her two year old OK and what else didnt go so well this morning?' The kid was listing her sins every so placidly - and it made me giggle - she said 'I yelled at you, I didnt tidy up, I wouldnt leave the house' - I had a chat with the mum and we both had a laugh at the child's confessions! :-)

To be honest, I just didnt enjoy tantrums at ALL with Charlotte - I didnt enjoy all the noise and the body fluids that went into the whole process ;-) - so on the one hand, Annabelle still wanders around the house late at night, calmly colouring in, or watching a show til she decides to put herself to sleep, and this IS technically 'bad parenting' but! she have NEVER had a tantrum. EVER. And she is sensitive and kind and very loving. I say lose the battle and win the war, babe! I say that with all the sympathies in the world - having tried both strategies, i know which one i would vote for every time xxxxx

Ju said...

PS one more thing - let her wear WHATEVER she wants - I couldn't bring myself to allow Charlotte to do this, and now I really regret those arguments. They really need to dress themselves and figure out what is comfy, hot, cold, too colourful etc. The only thing you need is a little post-it that reads 'Fiona dressed herself today' and you just stick that on her back and away you go :-) xx